Tuesday, July 23, 2013

You look smart, but...

One thing I've learned while here in Uganda is that if you want to feel good about yourself then you probably shouldn't cut your hair.

You would seriously think the world was ending or something by the reaction the children gave to my new haircut. Teddy would not even exit the garage when she saw me out in the yard cutting my hair. And the expression on Shafiga's face was simply priceless. Esther let out a big, "Awuhhh, Auntie" after seeing the cut. And carol even hid behind the couch sifting through the bag of hair clippings. I had to force it away from her and hide it in the rubbish bin.

When asked how they liked my haircut, the girls continually responded by stating that they liked it long.

But the best response of all was one of my students, Patricia, who said to me, "Teacher, you are smart, but don't cut your hair." (Smart in Uganda means you are beautiful or look good).

All I have to say is that if you lack self-esteem, then you probably shouldn't cut your hair while in Uganda.

Cutting your hair is disappointing to Ugandans apparently.

Nonetheless, I am glad that I finally found the courage to cut my hair. And thanks to Tana, one of the team members, it looks absolutely fantastic.


No comments:

Post a Comment