Thursday, July 11, 2013

Don't Miss It


Coming to Uganda, I truly wanted to leave behind my way of living life in America. Of caring how I looked to focusing on material items. The transition into this new way of living has been surprisingly easy. I mean, I have not had a proper shower in over 45 days and I really don't give a hoot. My hair and body may be filthy most of the time, but no one really seems to care. The girls still enjoy combing through and braiding my oily hair and seem to get a kick out of touching my prickly legs. And let's just be honest here...my chonies are usually crunchy from having been hand washed in a basin in the bathroom and left to hang dry.

If you wanted to know the dirt and grime of how I am living here in Uganda, well there you go. And if you didn't, I'm not sorry.

Riding in the van yesterday with the team after a day spent out and about, I found myself attempting to guess what time we would arrive back at Maria's Place, where the team stays. This is when Taylor pointed out how much I pay attention to time. I had never realized how much I actually do pay attention to time, but it honestly makes sense. If you know anything about my mom, you know that if she's not right on time, she's always early. And well, I guess I may have picked up that trait from her. And I did guess the time correctly of which we would arrive at Maria's Place.

But this all got me really thinking about the concept of time. I realized that this was one way of life that I had not left back in America and perhaps it wasn't a bad thing. God has given us time and I believe that each moment in time is important and should be used wisely.

Tyler, one of the team members has chosen to spend the past few days in Mengo Hospital with a boy named, George, who is struggling for his life. And maybe it seems like a lost cause and a waste of time, but to this little boy, Tyler's time spent with him could change his entire life. And I am absolutely positive that Tyler's life will be altered greatly from his time spent with George as well.

It's in things like this that make me realize that spending more time in Uganda is exactly what I need to do. A few months in the scheme of life, really isn't all that long or that much time. For each life I touch during my short stay here in Uganda, I can make a difference. Even if it's just for one person.

So whether it's letting the girls play with my disgustingly oily hair or painting the nails of a child in the hospital, my time here is always well spent. Those ten minutes could change a life or those three days spent next to hospital bed caring for a young boy could change the world.

And at the end of the day I'm absolutely blown away that my God could do this all on his own, but he chooses to let me be a part of it. He chooses to give me time to share his love with one person at a time.




1 comment:

  1. What a blessing that you make yourself available to God so that He can accomplish so much through you! Loved reading your blog. God bless you as you continue to serve and keep your eyes wide open so you are right on "TIME" for each of God's appointments. Most excellent!

    ReplyDelete