Sunday, September 22, 2013

I Will Never Let Go

As I reflect on my time spent in Uganda, I find every day to have been beautifully overwhelming as well as challenging. Not a day has been easy in the least bit and I find myself thankful for it being that way. I have realized that if our lives were easy, we would never grow. God has placed challenges in my life so I can grow and draw closer to him.

Surely there has been more than a few days where I have been angry at God for putting me through what he has. But it is in the end that joy comes and I realize why he deals me the cards he does. I am learning to accept the path God has me on and to eat all that he serves me, The food he feeds me may not always be my best, but it is what helps me to grow strong.

My life has been drastically changed for the better during my time spent in Uganda. I have learned the true meaning of 1 Timothy 3:12. "Don't let anyone put you down because you're young. Teach believers with your life: by word, by demeanor, by love, by faith, by integrity."

I have had many opportunities to be a living example of Christ's love to those older than me. They may doubt me, but that is not something to hold me back. I have learned that I must stand up and teach believers, young and old, by the way I live my life.

I have also learned that when you think you have it all figured out, you usually don't. And you should probably be prepared for a couple of pot holes and speed humps every now and then.


I was browsing my Facebook feed this morning and saw a post by someone stating, "Jesus take the wheel. Now put it in first- NO put the clutch in and- Jesus, what the heck?! You said you could drive stick."

This made me laugh because it reminded me of my journey here in Uganda. For one, I find myself singing the lyrics to Carrie Underwood's, Jesus Take The Wheel, while riding the boda through town all too often. And second, it made me laugh because I think God does know how to drive stick shift. I think he knows how, but chooses to take the more bumpy path to teach us the ins and outs of driving. How do we learn if we don't make a few mistakes every now and then?


It's in the crazy drive, speeding down a dirt rode, hitting a speed hump, and flying up out of your seat along with all the other children riding with you. It's in that same ride that the path soon becomes smooth and those in for the ride find comfort in you and rest their tired heads on your shoulder.


And perhaps that is only a bit of what I have learned here, and I know as I return home in California, there will be much more to learn. God brought me here to witness and help others grow in their walks with Christ, but it has been my life that has been changed. Changed for the better.

As I sat in my room last night, I listened to the children writing a worship song together. Henry on the drums, Charles on my guitar, and the girls gathered around singing. It was just another reminder of the place God has taken in the lives of each of these children. A reminder of all that God has done in my life.

"I once sat down and thought of letting go, but my heart all said no, no, no, no, oh. Don't let go. I will never let go."

No comments:

Post a Comment