Saturday, June 15, 2013

Opa-Uganda Style

I would be lying if I were to say that things have gotten better in the past few days, because honestly, for the most part they have not. The P3 class is still absolute chaos and frustrating things have been happening nonstop. I can say that I’ve had a more positive attitude and that God has been teaching me many things.

Friday, our internet was not working and we thought it was because we had used all of our internet already. We tried to use a spare internet card we had but when I opened the envelope it feel and we couldn’t find it. We were both frustrated and just upset with the day. But we decided to put it behind us and move forward. The internet ended up working the next morning…because Orange (the internet service) had been down. Clearly we stressed over nothing.

Saturday morning began with Taylor and I going to meet one of my friends, Lisa to get much needed pedicures. It was only around $8 and was the best pedicure I’ve ever received. After we decided to get a some drinks and a snack and just chit chat. It was such a wonderful time being able to hang out with Lisa.

Next we headed back to the house and began to set up a scavenger hunt for the boys. We had written clues on paper leading them to their futbol jerseys and game tickets. It was an absolute blast getting to see them run around the house trying to figure it all out. They were absolutely thrilled to be going to the game. So they changed into their jerseys and we piled into the van and headed on our way.

The roads were crazy! I have never seen such spirit. There are not really any laws that I know of for driving, so most of the time we were standing out of the sunroof, blowing horns and screaming and cheering. I also learned that here in Uganda they sing, “Opa Uganda style!” Quite silly.







 Anyhow, we were dropped off at the top of the hill next to the stadium where we would walk in. Of course after getting out we realized we had left our tickets back at the house in all of the excitement. Mama Sherry brought the tickets to us thankfully! Such a sweetheart! I am so thankful for all she does for us. And finally we were on our way into the game. But let me just tell you, it’s not fun trying to get in. Especially with 5 boys and 3 muzungus (white people) in the group.



Thankfully Uncle George had come to help us out. I cannot tell you how many men grabbed my arm while I was walking. It was ridiculous and ridiculously annoying. And there were so many people pushing and shoving that I just didn’t even know what to do or think. I just latched onto the younger boys in the group because I didn’t want them getting lost. At one point we were just about to go into the arena, and had to pass in a single file line through the ticket gate. People were shoving like crazy.

At one point a man started punching another guy telling him to get out. I think it was a worker and “thief.”  But anyhow, when he punched the guy he was pushed right into me, and next thing I know he’s punching the guy again, but this time, the guys head hits Henry’s head. I just about lost it. All I could do was put my hand on Henry’s head, trying to pull him in, as the man’s had kept being smashed into my hand. Finally they passed and more shoving began until we finally made it in!

At this point we had to find a seat. Which was more difficult than we thought it would be…because will it was a game leading to the World Cup. So it was a full house! There were no seats, just cement to sit on, which made it more exciting anyhow. But things turned bad when we lost one of the boys. NO one seemed to be worried except Taylor, Claire and I who about had a heart attack. We just sat in one place and watched the game. Angola scored a point which was a bummer, but then Uganda came back with two more, winning the game! Charles had previously stated that the score would be 2-1, so we were even more excited about that. But now it was time to search for Lawrence. I don’t think I stopped praying the entire time. I was completely terrified that he was lost and had no idea how we were going to find him. We searched and searched and finally walked out and down to the road. He was nowhere to be seen. The boys were okay with it because they know that he knew how to get home. Sherry had found out by this time that we could not find him and headed our way with bodas for us. As we were waiting, at least an hour after the game ended I hear Taylor say, “Is that Lawrence? LAWRENCE!” We both just took off running because we had finally spotted him!





The bodas arrived, and we all headed back home, thanking God for helping us find him. I don’t think I’ve ever been more scared in my life.

But, the game was one of the most exciting things of my entire life. I was quite into it! The screaming, horns, dancing, and pure excitement was such a thrill. Men asked numerous times to take photos with us muzungu girls and police literally lined the field with shields and guns. It was a new experience. One I will never forget for sure; especially with losing Lawrence.

I am absolutely knackered from the day and from all the emotions, but am so thankful for the experience.





No comments:

Post a Comment