Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Little Moments

While eating breakfast one morning, I was reading through my Bible. I flipped to a page and read Ecclesiastes 4:12 which states, “With a friend you can face the worst.” After a rough first day of teaching at the New Creation Centre, I turned to Taylor and had her listen to the verse. It was that moment where I realized why God has brought us both here to Uganda at the same time. I always knew there was a purpose for it, and I was always comforted by the fact that we would be together. But it was in that moment of reading the verse that I realized why we were both here.

Things have been pretty easy here in Uganda for the most part, but Taylor and I both became a bit discouraged after our first day of teaching. But we’ve realized that we can face the worst with each other.

I honestly cannot imagine going to sleep each night, waking up in the morning, eating lunch, eating dinner, teaching, or anything for that matter without Taylor being there. I don’t think I’d make it through without her. I am beyond thankful for God bringing the two of us together to serve him.



Taylor has been a major support in this journey, and I’ve learned that in God’s love, I’m unbreakable. Before coming to Uganda I was worried about missing home and everything that was not here in Uganda that I knew so very well. And I do miss it all and everyone like crazy, but to be honest, I’m quite content here.

I have had a Cheez-It craving as well as Chipotle and Taco Bell, but for the most part, I’ve just been enjoying being here. I still think I can flush the toilet and turn the sink on when I want to brush my teeth, but other than that, I’ve adjusted quite well. The food is actually really tasty, but I am still as picky as ever when it comes to meat. Sleeping under a mosquito next is just bloody hot, but I’d rather sleep in the heat over getting Malaria, because if I got Malaria my mom might just chop my head off. Although, my mom should know that I’ve only gotten one mosquito bite and I’ve only seen one mosquito during my entire stay here. The only other things I’ve seen in the house are cockroaches, ants, and lizards.

And although I find those things just flat out filthy, I still love it here. I think the thing that’s going to keep my going is the kids in the house. I am dreading being at home where I will no longer get to go to bed hearing, “goodnight Auntie Kelsey” 17 times. Where I will no longer be told to, “sleep loose” and to, “kick the bed bugs till they're black and blue.” I am dreading a time where Margret will not be around to try and convince me to close my eyes and raise my arms so she can tickle me and a time where Charles will no longer be asking me to write down lyrics and chords to songs for him.

And just like being an RA, it’s the little moments. It’s these little moments that keep me here. And in the end, I’ll hope that I have been enough and have never let them down. And I’ll wonder late at night if they liked having me around.

So I am happy to know that for now, I still have ten weeks left here in Uganda.

And while we're at it...take a little look at the things the boys in the house do to Taylor and I. All the girls write us sincere letters constantly. So the boys took it upon themselves to write Taylor and I each a letter. Here is the letter we each received. They found it real funny. Yes...there was nothing written inside. Typical.



1 comment:

  1. I was in Uganda last summer with Rafiki Africa Ministries and did some teaching at both New Creation Centre and the New Creation school at the children's home. I teach kindergarten in the states, and I also had a tough time transitioning to what school is like in Uganda and how challenging it is to teach these kids - the whole culture of school is so different. You girls are doing great! I'm enjoying hearing your updates :) I"ll be back in Kampala at the end of the month, so perhaps we'll meet - but if not, being encouraged that you aren't the only ones to find it hard and you are doing an awesome job! Praying for you and Taylor!
    - Laura Karsjens

    ReplyDelete