Monday, June 24, 2013

Home

After initially thinking that three months in Uganda was going to be a long time, I now feel as if it's just not long enough. It's been a month of living in Uganda and things are finally normal. When I ride down the street, things just feel like home. This is how it is, and that's normal. I may not have a shower or be able to flush toilet paper down my toilet, but that's normal. Posho and beans for dinner is normal.

My prayer coming into this adventure was for God to make this place my home and I can truly say that he's 100% answered that prayer. I can't say I haven't been scared along the way or haven't wanted to return to California from time to time, but God has always pulled my through it.

Early on, before even arriving in Uganda, I connected with the song Home by Phillip Phillips. I always listened to the lyrics as if God was speaking them to me.

"Hold on to me as we go, as we roll down that unfamiliar road. And although this wave is stringing us along, just know you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna make this place your home. Settle down, it'll all be clear. Don't pay no mind to the demons; they fill you with fear. The trouble it might drag you down, if you get lost you can always be found. Just know you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna make this place your home."
I held on as I rolled down the unfamiliar road that soon became familiar. I know how to get places and know where my "home" is. The place which has been made my home. Things became crystal clear as I settled down and looked forward. The demons tried to fill me with fear on numerous occasions, but I shoved them away. Trouble has gotten me down, but when I've been lost, I've always been found.

And the truth us, I know I'm not alone, because this place indeed has been made my home.

I serve a God who takes me places I've never imagined going and he never leaves my side. It's so refreshing knowing that God doesn't need me. So refreshing. God could do all of this on his own. But the fact that he wants me is simply amazing.

God has no need for me, but he wants me with his entire heart. He wants me here, at home, in Uganda and I want nothing other than that.

I serve an awesome God.

No comments:

Post a Comment