Monday, June 17, 2013

In the middle of my little mess, I forget how big I'm blessed.

Today I was once again reminded that I am responsible for my own happiness and that the only person who can make me feel better is Jesus Christ. I've also learned today that it's okay to feel the things I feel and that it's okay to cry. And finally I've once again been reminded that things will always get better...my mom's always been spot on with that.

Today was a much needed day. Claire decided to come to school with Taylor and I which made the day a tad more exciting to begin with. Our class was somehow on their best behavior which actually made the day at the school enjoyable. We even had time to have fun in the classroom and time to take photos together.





Today also brought a wonderful experience. The students were not served porridge at break, and after Claire, Taylor and I return from eating lunch at a cafe across the street, we found that the students had not been served lunch. In this moment, I though of Matthew 25:42 which states, "For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink." I thought about the PB&J sandwiches I had made for each of us girls that morning and the bananas I had also packed away.

And there wasn't a second thought about not giving that food to the students. Of course we did not have enough for all of the children, so we gave it to the six children who lived in the home with us. And to my amazement, when I walked back into the school, they were sharing the food we had given them with their friends.

Taylor had just happened to have packed her Annie's crackers in the backpack that morning also and so we gave them to our P3 students. Claire also gave her water away to one of the girls from our home who was not feeling well. It was just amazing to see everyone coming together and serving God.

Claire and I left the school before Taylor did today, and I had left my water bottle with her. Lawrence was apparently very concerned that I had not been drinking my water. Taylor told him that we thought something in the water was making me sick, which is why I had not been drinking it. He went on to state that he could tell I was not feeling well today, especially since I was locked in the bathroom. Yes, I did get stuck in the bathroom at the school. I went into panic mode thinking I was going to be stuck in there forever, until some of the students went and told another teacher who helped me out. I have never been more happy in my life to be out of a bathroom!

Our night in the home was spent with the power out, which was actually quite an experience and a lot of fun to be honest. I played some worship songs on my guitar while some of the girls sang along, Charles was determined to fix a flashlight of mine which I told him was a lost cause, and of course, the little miracle worker fixed it. "Don't worry Auntie, I'll fix it and bring it to you." And oh did he do just that.

Today has helped me to realize that it's okay to feel the way I feel, but that things really do always get better. I am beyond thankful for the grace God has laid on my life and all He's done for me.The concern and love the children have for me is such a blessing. Taylor and Claire have been life-savers. And I just cannot believe that I am living in Africa, in Uganda, and am serving the Lord in such a wonderful place.

You know, sometimes you've just got to stop and look around and realize that everything is good, that everything has its place in life, and that you make it for yourself.

Today ended with Taylor, Claire and I listening to the lyrics, "In the middle of my little mess, I forget how big I'm blessed."

And blessed I am.


2 comments:

  1. I'm blessed in knowing and supporting such an encouragement like you over there as you shine the light of Christ :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an encouragement to many as you live a life in obedience to Christ. Thank you for sharing your heart with vulnerability and honesty!

    ReplyDelete