Friday, August 30, 2013

The Good Life

From time to time I find myself thinking about how most of my friends are in serious relationships, getting married, having children of their own, starting careers, attending grad school, or doing something with their lives. I think about myself, twenty-three years old, having absolutely none of this and become discouraged. Then there’s always the realization that God has given me something much greater than marriage, a child, further education, or a “real job.” In fact, He’s given me the realest job of all.

God has given me the job to serve in his army. Serving in the Lord’s army is mighty big job. I may be missing out on everything California side at the moment, but I look at what I have here in Uganda, and come to my senses. I am working for God. Beat that! My boss is the greatest boss known on earth.

I currently live with seventeen children who hold a sturdy grip on my heart; seventeen children who have changed my life for the better. I have nine children in my Primary-3 class who challenge me daily, but who also teach me how to be a better person. They have mainly taught me what it means to have an unconditional love for someone. And there are many more children whose lives have touched mine, and mine theirs.


It is in the faces of these children I work with that I realize all I have and I begin to stop pitying myself for not being in a relationship or for furthering my education. I realize I have more than I could have ever dreamed of having; a life of sheer grace, blessing, and happiness.

My life may not be what I ever pictured it to be, but it is more than I could ever imagine it to be. Each day is another day to embrace God’s love and to share it with each person I encounter. My job serving in the Lord’s army is not always an easy one, but it is a good one. One that provides all the benefits needed, and let me just tell you, my boss is out of this world.

I pray that my friends’ weddings are all they ever dreamed of them to be, that their children are born healthy, that my colleagues enjoy their jobs, and that grad school isn’t too rough. But I also want to take a moment to say sorry that they are missing out on what I have going on over my way.

So for now I will continue enjoying this wonderful life God has graciously blessed me with. And I will continue to let the children in the New Creation Family Home and students at New Creation Centre believe that I am cool enough for Zac Efron, or shall I say “Troy,” to date me. I think we are going to get engaged soon ;]


No comments:

Post a Comment