Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Classroom Chaos

If there were an award for the craziest class in the world, P3 at New Creation Centre would most definitely take the prize. It is crazy wild and these kids have no concept of respect whatsoever. I am currently teaching them how to respect their teacher, their classmates, and their classroom.

When I walked into the classroom on Tuesday and saw the disaster state that it was in and recalled how disrespectful they had been, well my entire time here in Uganda, I decided it was time for a change.

Everything was taken off of our walls and then the kids deep cleaned the entire classroom.

After, the students sat in their desks and they made a list of expectations for the class. I wanted them to come up with the list, so that it was not me telling them what they needed to be doing, but themselves. Our theme for the classroom is a roller coaster, so just as on a roller coaster you have to follow the rules in order to have fun, in our class, we must follow the rules to have fun.

The next morning, with the help of Izzi, I came in to the start the class anew. Izzi and I had gathered new posters for the classroom, wrote the expectations out on paper, created and art wall, created jobs for the students to rotate through, as well as pull cards. The students were very excited about the change but were concerned about the other students in the school not respecting their classroom.

Sooo...I took competition practice as a good opportunity to talk to the entire school. I shared a few verses with them about respect and setting a good example. I told them that P3 was learning about respect and that we would appreciate everyone else respecting our classroom. I then went on to talk about how we are called to respect others if we respect God. And how we are the light of the world, and are called to be a good example.

So with that said, here are some photos of our new and improved classroom.

Our expectations above the window and a few of our new posters.
It's most important that we follow our rules in order to have fun in our class!

Our pull cards and jobs.

Our art wall which currently holds paper hats decorated by the students.
We made paper hats in honor of my dad who used to make them for me when I was little.

We even have new name tags to match our roller coaster theme.

A view of the front of the room all cleaned up.
We made sure to keep the adorable aids above the blackboard that Teacher Shannon made.

Isaac, Leonard, and Allan's pull cards and jobs.
Each photo drawn represents them.

Emma, Vero, and Esther's pull cards and jobs.

Patricia, Richard, and Vanesa's pull cards and jobs.
Yes, Vanesa has yellow. She was writing on her new name-tag which she knows she's not supposed to do from when Teacher Taylor was still here.


I am really hoping that this new classroom helps. We are also doing Fizz Awards; Izzi's idea. I will choose one student each week who displays the best behavior to receive a certificate and a soda. As for the pull cards, at the end of each day, whoever has a green card gets a sweetie and sticker, yellow gets a sticker, and red gets nothing. It's already working quite well thankfully!

Anyhow, I started a reading the book of James with the kids, so I am off to do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment