Sunday, August 11, 2013

Warp Speed in an Ice Storm

I was going to be attending church alone and wasn't really wanting to do that, so I decided to take Margret Mae with me. Church was nice, although we got out at 11:30am and the other kids would not be home until 2pm so we had some time to kill since we would not be able to get into the house without a key.

Thankfully Sherry was there and invited Margret Mae and I over to her place to have lunch with her. So Sherry caught a boda home and Margret Mae and I decided to walk since it was close. We arrived to the house before Sherry since she was praying for some boda drivers, one who accepted Christ!

While waiting, Margret Mae and I talked with a little girl called Anna, who lives across the street and attends the school that I teach at. Sherry shortly arrived and we went inside to help her make hamburgers for lunch. It was such a nice time spent with Sherry and wonderful getting to spend some one-on-one time with Margret Mae.

We noted how it looked like it was going to rain and talked about how it would most likely be raining a lot after the next seven days. Being that I was moving all my belongings back into my parents house the weekend before coming here to Uganda, I didn't pack anything to wear for the rain. Sherry graciously gave me a poncho to use.

Margret Mae and I called Benard, our boda driver and asked him to come pick us up. Little did we know, we would be spending our whole ride home in the pouring rain. It was sunny when we pulled away from the house and as we reached the main road, the rain began to pour. We quickly pulled over and stood in font of a shop for a bit to wait for the rain to stop. During this time I stuck the poncho on Margret Mae.

The rain slowed and we decided to continue our journey home, only to be met by a torrential downpour and hail.

We are in Africa and it is raining cats and dogs and ice is hitting our faces. Africa. Africa my friends.

Stuck in an ice storm on a boda in Africa.

I have never heard Margret Mae laugh so hard before. We both could not handle how funny it was that we were out, riding a boda, in this craziness. Every time she turned around and looked at me she just started laughing harder.

"Auntie doesn't need to bathe!"
"We look like we went swimming!"

It was probably one of the craziest experiences in my life and one of the most memorable moments of being here in Uganda. I will never forget how it felt to be hit in the face with ice pellets while going warp speed on a boda.

No comments:

Post a Comment