Monday, August 5, 2013

Words and phrases that will make me look stupid back in America

Best: "What is your best color?" "What is your best subject?" "My best food is popcorn."

Fearing: "I am fearing your leg hair." "I fear the dark."

Paining: "Teacher, my head is paining me." "My knee is paining me."

Smart: "Auntie, you look smart." "Your outfit is smart" "So smart, Vanesa!" (Beautiful)

Susu: "I need to go susu." "Joshua, do you need to susu?" (Pee Pee)

Wound: "He has a wound on his leg."

Balance: "Bring me the balance when you are done." "Do you have a balance?" (Leftovers)

Give me: " Give me the pen." "Give me your book." "Give me."

Opama: "Opama!" "Opama water." "I need to opama." (Defecate)

Rubber: "Teacher, I need a rubber." "Teacher, do you have a rubber?" (Eraser)

Duster: "Leonard, can you find a duster so I can rub the blackboard?"

Rub: "I'll rub the blackboard when you're done copying the notes down."

I'm fine: Me: "Hello" Ugandan: "I'm fine."
              Me: "How are you?" Ugandan: "I'm fine."

It's okay: Basically means yes.

Yes please: "Yes please?"

Wange: "Wange?" (yes please?)

Mzungu: "Mzungu!" "My name is not mzungu." (White person)

Well done: "Well done." (Good job)

You are welcome: "You are welcome." (Welcome)

Takes it: "She takes porridge at home." "She takes chai." "She takes juice."

Not so: "You're going to school, not so?" "You like popcorn, not so?"

Take away: "Ahh, take away!" "Agh, take away, Auntie."

Gassing: "Auntie, don't come in here, I gassed."

No comments:

Post a Comment