Friday, January 31, 2014

God is in Control

I am quite positive that most of us have realized that life never really goes according to planned. And I’ve found that when I tell God of my plans, he usually just laughs at me because I don’t know what I’m talking about. God is the one with the plans. His plans are the greater plans and the ones I should be following. Trusting God can be a difficult thing. Even after he’s shown us time after time that we have no reason not to trust him. We worry about what others may think of us if we step out in obedience.

The world says, “You made your bed, now sleep in it.” Whereas Jesus says, “Pick up your bed and walk.” What’s my excuse? What’s keeping me from moving forward? Jesus sees through my excuses. And I can pick up my bed, because Jesus picked up the cross.

For the past year and a half of my life, I’ve committed to having radical obedience, no matter the cost. It has not always been easy, but God has always rewarded me for being obedient. God provided for me to spend three months in Uganda, to extend my stay for another month, and then made it clear it was time to head home. I went to Uganda and it most definitely was not the easiest thing to do. But God used me in so many ways and I am beyond thankful for all he’s done through me and in my own life. My four months spent in Uganda were the best four months and the most challenging in my life. Leaving Uganda was difficult, but God made it clear it was my time to leave, so I acted in obedience.

During my three month stay in California, I felt God calling me back out to Uganda. This time it was much easier to act in obedience, pick up and go. God provided for me to come back out to Uganda. So here I am, on a Friday afternoon sitting on the porch of the NCFH thinking about life and the ways God has called me to radical obedience over the past month in Uganda. 

Today marks one month that I've been back in Uganda. And I'll be honest and say that the past month has been a challenging one. One full of loneliness, confusion, homesickness, and trials. But God is ever faithful and he knows exactly what I need. He has given me a roommate who is kind beyond words and suits my needs perfectly. Oh and guess what, she was also an RA. Cool beans there. I have found that I love the dirt roads and craziness of the culture. And sometimes Ugandan time isn't so bad. Spending time with the kids has most definitely reminded me why I am here. And at the end of the day, no matter how much I miss my family, I love this place. 

God has reminded me of why I love Ugandana and that when life hands you lemons you make lemonade. But I’ve found in the last month that lemonade is quite sour if you don’t add in sugar. Sugar is the key ingredient to making lemonade sweet. And if you haven’t figured out what the sugar represents in this old saying, then keep searching.

I don't know how long I will be in Uganda for or what the future holds. All I know is that I will continue to have radical obedience and trust in the Lord. So what more do I need to say? Well, “can you take a moment, promise me this: that you’ll stand by me forever. But if God forbid, fate should step in and force us into a goodbye, if you have children someday, when they point to the pictures, please tell them my name; Tell them how I hope they shine.”

Thank you to my parents, Kari and Cassidy, Taylor, Izzi, and all my friends and family who have supported me endlessly on this journey God has set me out on. It means more than you could ever know. I am so thankful to have God as my God. I am thankful to be saved and to be free. 


“The cynics were outraged, screaming this is absurd, ‘cause for a moment a girl in ripped up jeans got to rule the world. Long live the walls we crashed through, all the kingdom lights shine just for me and you. I was screaming long live all the magic we made, and bring on all the pretenders, I’m not afraid. Long live all the mountains we moved, I had the time of my life fighting dragons with you. One day we will be remembered.”

One day all God did will be remembered. 

Taylor edited this photo and sent it to me last night.
It was a reminder of how blessed I am to have this 
experience and to have Taylor in my life. 

Love NEVER fails. 

1 comment:

  1. <3 you!!!! for everything you are and will be. you teach me life lessons daily, even from so far away. You are never out of my thoughts kelseymag!

    ReplyDelete