Monday, May 26, 2014

It's been about a year now...

It has officially been a year since I first headed out to this lovely land of Uganda. It's been a year since I met my sweet friend Taylor in the Washington DC airport and began a journey that has been far from what I ever imagined it to be.

This past year has been full of excitement and a great amount of adventure. I've learned how difficult it is to wash your clothes by hand every single week and how over time the children will ask to wash your clothes every single day, so you won't even have to wash your clothes by yourself, or by hand after all.

Some of mine and Taylor's hand
washed clothes hung out to dry.
I have attended a real football game and have also successfully lost a child at a football game. Which ended up resulting in one of the most terrifying moments of my life. But the football game itself is also one of my favourite memories.

I have done a bit of rafting on the Nile River which was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. It was simple brilliance being able to spend a day on the exact river that the Bible references to so many times. It was such a surreal experience. 


The aunties surprised the boys in the NCFH with
a evening out to watch a Uganda Cranes
football match.



I carried a Jerry Can home from school only to have the kids laugh at me. Thankfully it was empty, because I cannot imagine carrying a full one. I don't know how they do it! I have had my hair plated, which was even more painful than getting a tattoo.

I've said a few goodbyes and also a few hellos. I've made many friends from all around the world, including three other Kelsey's. I was shocked that there could be so many of us in Uganda. I have learned how to cook outside on a charcoal stove at night, and how to kill a rat. I can sew a basket and even peel mangoes and cut pineapples like a pro.

Carrying a Jerry Can home from school.



I have been pushed out of my comfort zone which has been much needed in my life. I've attended a Ugandan wedding as well as Ugandan funeral. I was always curious of what a Ugandan funeral would be like and unfortunately I was able to experience one just less than a month ago.

I have spent days in the hospital playing guitar with George, and more days caring for him as we helped him become well enough to head back to his home village. There has been many difficult times here in Uganda simply because it's a third world country. But at the end of each day I am able to go to bed being so very thankful for this opportunity to serve the Lord. I have made many wonderful friends, have grown in my relationship with Christ, and have simply been able to go out into Uganda and make disciples.

My first attempt at sewing a basket.
My favourtie part about Uganda has been teaching my P3, now P4 class. The students at the New Creation Centre School hold the key to my heart. I absolutely cherish each moment spent with them. Even when they are driving me crazy. These children have changed my life for the better and I have never been happier in my life.

They are a wild bunch of kids, but have so much joy in their hearts. Whether I am in the classroom teaching, walking home with some of the students, or out playing football on a Saturday morning, God is working. I desire nothing more than to share the love of God with the students at the school and to help make their lives the best they can be.

Playing the guitar for George on his month
long stay in the hospital.
And as today marks a year since I traveled here to Uganda, it also marks the first official day of term two at the school. School actually began this past Monday, but for some reason, students don't show up the first week of school. So today was the first day I had most of my students attending. Peter and I began our journey down to Ntinda from Kiwenda early this morning. Our commute took a total of two hours. Our taxi decided to take a short long cut which put us on a ten minute walk back to where we wanted to be. It then took us another ten minutes to catch our second taxi and apparently we were both so worn out from the ordeal that we forgot to say "masow" at our stop, putting us at the top of hill, where we had to backtrack back to where we needed to be to walk the remainder of the way to the school. We arrived right on African time. Which means we were 40 minutes late.

My class the obviously has a
difficult time following directions.
The first day went amazingly well, ending with me teaching all the students a new song for them to sing for the visitors who will be coming out to Uganda this summer. Oh, and my commute home was complete with both of my taxis getting into car accidents. Typical, right?

So here is to the next seven months I will be spending in Uganda and the nine that have already been spent here. It's been an amazing journey so far and I am completely thrilled to see all that God has in store for me during the remainder of the year.

The absolute loves of my life and my favourite part of the week.





1 comment:

  1. May God bless you immensely for the work you are doing to expand the Kingdom! You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete