Saturday, May 17, 2014

Enchanted

Living in Uganda has allowed me to meet many different people who have touched my life. But never has anyone had such a big impact on my life as Joseph has.

Last year, Joesph was in P7 at the New Creation Centre School. Taylor, Izzi, and I became good friends with Joseph over the time we spent in Uganda. After returning back to America, Joseph continue to stay in contact with me; writing to me on Facebook.

When I returned back to Uganda, Joesph was heading off to secondary boarding school and I was not able to see him. So after seven months of not seeing or talking with Joseph, I made a surprise visit to his home over holiday. I had walked home from school with is younger brothers Isaac and Ivan during the first term, so I knew where he lived.

I was unable to notify him that I was visiting, so I simply showed up at his door. I knocked on the window and when he came to the door all he said was, "Oh wow!"

After inviting us inside and giving us a place to sit, he left for a few minutes. Only to return with a pop and cake for Erika and myself. And as much as I wasn't surprised, I was completely blown away by his respect and care.

Joesph is 18 years old, lives in a third world country, and attends secondary school. Most people in America do not even welcome you into their homes with even half of the respect Joesph welcomed us into his home with.

We chatted about school and life and spent a little time playing his keyboard. Issac joined us for a little bit, spending his time playing the keyboard as well.

Joseph then asked Erika and I if we wanted to go up and See the Baha'i Temple. We took a walk up the hill and continued to chat along the way. Joesph showed us around the grounds of the temple and we took a few photos together. 

On the walk back from the temple Joseph told me that he was thankful. I asked him what he was thankful for and he told me that he was thankful for me visiting him.

What I am thankful for is the man that Joesph has become. He is one of the most respectful and caring Ugandans I have ever met, and he's only 18 years old. This man has a big future ahead of him and I hope and pray that he is someone I can remain friends with for the remainder of my life.

Joesph wants to finish secondary school and go on to university to study to become a mechanical engineer. He also has an interest in music and playing the piano. He is learning to play the keyboard bit by bit.

All I have to say is props to Maama Isaac (his mom) for raising such a fantastic man of God.

Joseph reminds me that there is good in the world and that God doesn't just have me here change the lives of others, but he also has me here for my life to be changed by the people I meet. I have been absolutely enchanted to meet Joseph and to get to know him over the past year.

I pray that the other children in the New Creation Centre School can follow in Joesph's footsteps in respect, care, love, kindness, and love for God. That they may welcome all visitors into their homes just has Joesph welcomed me into his.





No comments:

Post a Comment