Friday, June 13, 2014

TIA

TIA -This Is Africa

And with living in Africa comes the risk of contracting Mr. Malaria. 

After nine months of living in Uganda I spent a Wednesday morning walking to a clinic to be tested for Malaria. 

On my commute to school this past Wednesday morning I felt a fever coming on and upon arriving at school felt quite weak. Knowing that at least five kids in our children's home had suffered from Malaria recently, I decided it was best to go get tested. 

Of course I did not want to go alone, so I waited for Auntie Lydia to arrive to walk with me to the clinic. The 24hr clinic was closed (TIA), so we were forced to walk further to another clinic. It was there that I was tested and told that I have Malaria. Typical. 

We trekked back to the school where I packed up my things and made a lesson plan for my substitute teacher, Patricia, who is actually just a student in my class. But hey, TIA. 

DIY heating pillow

As soon as I pulled up to the children's home, Erika was boarding a boda to go to the hospital. Turns out she was feeling sick as well. So we both ventured down to our local hospital where she was also tested for Malaria and my prescription was filled. 

Erika thankfully was Malaria free! We actually had the opportunity to see what Malaria infected blood looks like. The let us look at infected blood through a microscope. It was quite interesting. 

My perscription was filled and we headed back home. Day one was not so bad. Fever and feeling
weak. Symptoms worsened day two when I took over 1,000mg of my medication. I don't know if it was the Malaria or the fact I took in so much medication. I felt miserable and found my way to the girls room where I slept on Eron's bed for a few hours. Once the medication settled I felt much better but quite achy. 

"Forever, no matter what, you've got my
 love to lean on, darling. That's what's up!" 
I had the brilliant idea to DIY a heating pillow. I grabbed some fabric I had previously purchased and headed to Auntie Sherina to have her sew a pillow for me. I then filled it with rice with the help of Margret and Ann Grace. Sewed up the hole and it was cute as could be. And there we warmed it on top of our matooke dinner. Worked like a charm and felt amazing on my neck. 

Margret made me tea and I finally had an appetite to eat some dinner and then went to bed early. 

Today I woke up feeling quite achy, but nonetheless so much better. I have my appetite back, and have been up and about all day. I even ventured to the end of the road to purchase some bread for sandwiches for Football Saturday tomorrow. 

Sharing food with the kids at the end of
the road while we wait the rain out.
Or course it rained hard and Erika and I were able to sit outside a shop and hang out with some kids. We were quite happy about this occurrence. 

I just took my last dose of medicine and kicked Mr. Malaria in the butt. Goodbye, see you never.

Malaria was not as bad as people have made it out to be, but I also caught it early which helped. I am beyond ready to get back into the classroom to teach. Sitting around for three days has been quite boring.

With that, TIA.


1 comment: