Tuesday, September 23, 2014

I Wrote a Book

School is back in sesh. Woo-to-the-hoo! 

After what seemed to be the longest holiday ever, I am happy to back in the classroom teaching. I was amazingly surprised to see that ten out of my eleven students showed up on the first day of school. Nothing too exciting has been going on besides the story I am about to share with you. I was going to keep this story I've written to myself...but I thought it was blog worthy, I needed something to blog about, and well I thought it was funny and wanted to share. So here you go...this is my book that has been based on a true story...


--> I Don't Have a Title <--
(typical)

Last week my teacher surprised our class with a class pet. I was hoping for a bunny or fish, but she gave us rocks. I actually thought mine was pretty cool. He had eyes glued on his head with a crooked, red and glittery mouth. Anyhow, we tried to convince Teacher Kelsey to go down the road to buy a pet rabbit, because let's be honest, no one wanted a rock as a pet. What do you even do with a rock? I did make headphones for my pet rock, which I named Transporter Pt.1, out of ticky-tack from behind a poster on our wall. Although Teacher Kelsey made me put the ticky-tack back behind the poster.

Emma and his pet rock, Transporter Pt.1
She is always telling us that the posters fall off the wall when we take the ticky-tack, but what she doesn't realize is that they fall because we play rough in the classroom. The only reason our Bucket Filler poster was on the floor this morning was because Richard was on the desk fighting Leonard. 

Back to the class pet situation; teacher Kelsey said a big "NO" after we asked about a pet bunny. She claimed that if we couldn't take care of plants, then there would be no way we could care for a rabbit. Perhaps we had killed the plants, but she could have at least let us have fish. Those are simple to care for. You don't have to walk a fish or clean up its stinky poo. 

Since there was no convincing Teacher Kelsey to find a more suitable pet for our class, I took to the task myself. I had already given Teacher Kelsey her own pet kitten, so I couldn't repeat that one. But I did remember seeing some fish in the creek down by my house the past weekend, and like I said, fish are easy to care for. There's no way Teacher Kelsey could deny our class a pet fish if she had accepted the kitten I gave her. 

So after school, after the whole pet rock situation, I dropped my backpack at home, found an old ice cream tin and raced down to the creek. It took some effort but I managed to catch three fish. All that was left was to surprise Teacher Kelsey the bext day at school with our new, and much better, class pet. 

The next morning I woke up extra early to ensure that I would have plenty of time to get the fish to school safely. When it was time to leave for school I slung my backpack over my shoulders and carried the fish in their ice cream tin as carefully as I could. I managed to carry them all the way to school and into the classroom without spilling all of their water, and set them on my desk to wait for Teacher Kelsey to see.

"Oh, wow!" she said as she placed her lesson books on her desk.. You know, the “oh wow” where the teacher pretends they are excited. Right then I knew we had some convincing to do. I explained that I brought a class pet that was simple to care for and that I had even caught a Mad Fish. Those are the hardest fish of all to catch. But she clearly didn't understand that Mad Fish was a type of fish, not a just a crazy fish. It made no difference when the Mad Fish jumped out of the ice cream tin in the middle of our math lesson and began flopping around the desk. Thankfully Isaac picked it up by the tail and plopped it back into the water. But only moments later Vanesa spilled the whole ice cream tin of water onto Teacher Kelsey's books. 

Convincing Teacher Kelsey that having fish as a pet was not going as I'd hope. She picked up the ice cream tin and walked the fish right out of the classroom. She said it was disturbing the class, but I think it was just adding some much needed excitement. Who wanted to practice subtraction anyhow? Boring. 
Our pet fish

When she returned to class she informed us that she had dumped the fish outside, giving them a proper home where they would no longer disturb our class. After all my hard work of catching the fish and carrying them all the way to school, she just dumped them. I spent the remainder of our math class staring at the subtraction problems in my notebook, trying to not think about what had just happened. The bell eventually rang marking break time. As the other kids raced out of class, I slowly arranged my desk neatly, before I headed outside to join them.

When I walked out to the school yard I saw Leonard and Isaac from my class staring into a large orange bucket. I decided to go over to see what it was they were look at. Leonard yelled to me, “Emma! You must see this!” To my amazement inside the large orange bucket were my three fish.

I should have known that Teacher Kelsey was tricking us about dumping the fish. Especially after the time she scared Isaac by putting a fake centipede in his English book. She had liked my class pet and even found a better home for the fish. I will admit that the ice cream tin was a little small for them. Now there is room in the large orange bucket for me to bring even more fish! The other students loved the fish and we even have our pet rocks sitting on our desks in our classroom. I think Teacher Kelsey still likes the pet rocks best.


No comments:

Post a Comment