Saturday, March 8, 2014

Saturdays on the Field

Since I began teaching at the New Creation Centre this past June, I have been wanting to plan something to do with the students at the school. I looked for a park while riding on the boda numerous times, but never came across any. Time passed and I never really took the time to sort something out.

Upon my return back to Uganda, and again into teaching, I really wanted to make it a point to do something one Saturday with the students. I had previously thought about going out to play football (soccer) but didn't know where to go.

With the thought of football on my mind, and knowing that a majority of the kids enjoy playing, I did a little research to sort something out. Uncle George helped me choose a field location, I went out with Peter to get him some cleats, I purchased some food, and we were all set.

The kids arrived at school at 8am, we walked to the field together, played some football, and ate PB&J sandwiches for lunch.

It was an absolute hit!

Once the day was over and we were on our way back to the school, the kids continually asked if we would be coming out to play the following Saturday. I was not too sure about it, since it had been a long day, and I wasn't sure if I was ready to make that commitment.

I took the week to think about it and felt God placing it on my heart to continue taking the kids out each Saturday. So needless to say, we headed back out to the field today. We ate biscuits and peanut butter for a snack, and spent 9 hours out on the field, including our walk there and back.


I have never felt joy like I feel when I am out on the field with my students. William will do anything to have me on his team, so I am guessing I am not too shabby. I've found that it's quite difficult to tell who is on my team when they all look alike. So today they decided to go skins and shirts. Of course I was on skins which they found quite funny. Yes, I kept my shirt on. I am pretty obvious to spot out anyhow.


The girls tend to dance around, do some gymnastics, or pick mangoes. I love turning around while Will is up the field with the ball to see the girls lying in the grass giggling. I caught this sweet photo of them today. 


And then there are the moments I just like to sit back and watch the kids do their thing. I have been so blessed by these children and all I wish for is to bless them in return. I am committing to continuing to take them out at least twice a month to play football for the remainder of my time here in Uganda.

Many of these children eat one meal a day and have to walk anywhere from 1-5 miles to even get to the school to come out to play football. Their feet become torn up and blistered from the poor quality of shoes they have. 

My desire is to simply show these students how much they are cared about. I want them to have a fun day once during the week. A time to fellowship and spend time with their classmates. 

I am purchasing food for the children to eat for lunch when we play football, would like to purchase a second football, a ball pump, and reusable water bottles. We also need some band-aids since the kids play rough and I have gone through mine like water. So if anyone feels led to help support our Saturdays out on the field, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment