Monday, December 1, 2014

Long Live

New Creation Centre School
As many of you don't seem to know, I have recently returned back to California. I have been back in America for just a week now and am finally beginning to adjust to the 11 hour time difference. Not much is going on since I am absolutely jobless and really have nothing at all to do. I've been playing a bit lot of guitar and talking to as many of my students as possible on Facebook. Facebook has been such a blessing in being so far away from my students. Things are good. I am content in being home, ready to find a job (anyone know of anything?!), and am excited to see what the future holds. God willing, the near future will involve being back in Uganda.
Primary 4

Anyhow, nothing else to expand on really, so I thought I'd share with you my last few days in Uganda. 

Primary 5
About a week before I departed Uganda, we were playing Peter's all time favorite game outside, which included glow stick and jumping, and Carol broke her leg. We have successfully played the game in the past with no injuries, but accidents happen and kids are kids. It's bound to happen. Carol breaking her leg led to me spending even more time with her than usual. She is always at my bedroom door wanting to hang out, so with a broken leg, she sat there at my bedroom for as long as possible just chatting with me. I know she absolutely despises that cast on her leg, but I think it's going to teach her to appreciate the help and care of others.

I had been dreading my last day teaching at the school so I made sure to plan a fun party for all the kids to make the goodbye not so sad. In the morning my class reviewed quite a bit of math work before heading out for a walk together. It still amazes me how far my students have come over the past two years. They are responsible, respectful, and good-hearted kids. I remember when Taylor and I first started teaching them, we were calling parents into the school because their kids were so ill behaved. I am proud to say that I have the best behaved class ever.

Primary 6
Primary 7
After lunch was when the party was to begin. We began with a game of Balloon Burst (my class' favorite game) which involves tying a balloon to your ankle and then attempting to burst others' balloons without your own being burst. I don't think that the game is actually called "Ballon Burst," that is what my class calls it, and they ask at least once a week for us to play it. Everyone was beyond excited about the occurrence of everyone playing. We then played a water bottle race which wasn't as exciting before a trivia game. The students had to answer questions about me to win prizes. I am quite impressed at how well they all knew me. I then read them a story, shared some verses with them, and then gave them all little gifts. We took group photos, laughed together and then went our separate was. 

Saturday was thankfully one last day of Football. We were meant to play basketball but that fell through, so football it was. Many students came out since they knew it was the last one, which I am grateful for. After football, which I took Peter, Henry, and Joseph to, we headed back home where I began to finalize my packing. Of course with Carol and Margret standing nearby. 

The children asked for me to lead devotions and then I gave each one of them a gift before we also took a group photo and said our last goodbyes. Saying goodbye to Margret Mae was probably the most difficult because of how upset she was. I personally was content about my goodbyes, I'd been praying for contentment for the entire year, and I know this was God's plan. I sat Margret on my bed as I finished my last bit of packing and talked to her about not being sad about me leaving. That God had blessed us with SO much time together and that no matter how far away from each other we would be, we would still be best friends.

New Creation Family Home
I gave them each hugs and said my goodbyes and I was off on my way back to California. Flights went extremely well and here I am.

As I look over at a photo of all the girls in NCC my heart does hurt. I truly miss everything about being in Uganda. I'd get on a plane this very instant and head back out there if possible. But, I am also content in where God has me at the moment. I know I have a future in Uganda and I'm just waiting patiently because I know it's not a race. 

I am beyond thankful for the past year and everything that's happened within it. The good and the bad. I have been absolutely beyond blessed in so many ways. So here is to a wonderful year, what is yet to come, and for Patrick, Will, Emma, Jordan, Betty, and Joseph all having Facebook. Thank you technology. 


Long live the walls we crashed through
How the kingdom lights shined just for me and you
I was screaming long live all the magic we made
And bring on all the pretenders, I'm not afraid
Long live all the mountains we moved
I had the time of my life fighting dragons with you
I was screaming long live that look on your face

{Margret Mae's current favorite song}

1 comment: