Friday, August 8, 2014

The Best Day

With just 4 moths left in Uganda, I sit on a front porch (or have been for the past four hours) watching some of my boys playing football.

It's hard to imagine not being here. I have a life back in California and of course that's where my family resides. But Uganda has become my life. Watching my students play football on a Thursday afternoon has become my life.

I remember back in the day when my mom would be out for the day and my dad would take my brother, sister, and I to the park. I absolutely hated it. I was obviously much too old to play at the park and watching my younger siblings play was absolutely miserable. 

It's funny to think of how time changes most everything. One of my favorite things to do these days is watch my students play football. I could watch for hours. 

Perhaps it's not even the watching football part, but the simple fact that they have become my world. Much like a child to a father. I love seeing them laughing. I love seeing smiles on their faces. It brings so much happiness into my life. 

I suppose this is how our Heavenly Father feels as he watches us laugh and smile. 

Four months until I say goodbye to the people who have become most important to me in this world. I am beyond excited to be back in California with my family, but how will I bear knowing I can't run to the market to get some football cliets when a student is in need of a pair. Or bear knowing that there's no one to bandage the scraped knees after a Saturday football match. I won't be able to tell my students I'm proud of them, or be there for Margret Mae when she is just bored out of her mind. When all I need is a little Vanesa hug, she won't be there.

But, I am absolutely confident that God's timing and God's plan is always perfect. So I know when I return home it will be in God's perfect plan. I can embrace my mother and father and walk down the street whenever I want to have a lovely chat about lions and tigers with my cousin Liam. 

So with strange looks on their faces, wondering why I'm still sitting here watching them play football after four hours, I give them a strange look back and  send them a smile...knowing that for today, and the next four months worth of days, I have the pleasure of watching them play football, hearing them laugh, and seeing them smile all my heart desires.

"I hope you know that, I had the best day with you today."


No comments:

Post a Comment